Vision, Mission and Values
We have a strong community focus, delivering cultural programmes which support, engage and work with people from all backgrounds at all stages of their life – from toddler to pensioner. We play a leadership role in local culture, through partnerships, projects and networks, and in pioneering crowdsourced collections management. We use our spaces to platform others, co-curate and host work and to support people through social prescribing, work experience and volunteering. We deliver a lively and engaging visitor programme.
Our vision is that people are inspired by the past to make positive change in their own lives.
Our mission is to connect people with where food comes from and the impact of our choices: past, present and future.
Our values are:
- We make our collections relatable to a 21st-century audience.
- We cater for people at different levels of understanding and create layered interpretation appropriate to their needs.
- Everyone should be able to see themselves reflected somewhere in what we display, collect and programme.
- We encourage people to debate and give them the tools and information to make up their own minds.
- We affirm people in the things they care about and help with the things that challenge them.
- We help people appreciate their own power to effect change.
- We raise awareness of uncomfortable or challenging stories and reflect multiple points of view.
- We explore human impact on the natural world.
- We work towards a sustainable world in our management of resources and people.